BEST GRADUATING STUDENT(PHILOSOPHY 2016 SET)

In the words of Funmi Achigbu who conducted the interview session with myself, ANICHEBE TONY is a mortal working with the brains of a god. And i absolutely agree with her deep sense of figurative expression for this humble man. Getting to meet him was not my idea, whatsapp conversation simply looked like the easiest way to interview the B.G.S of the department of philosophy, but because of his noble act and sense of concern he gave us a time to schedule an interview one on one despite his busy schedule, which was an exciting and enlightening conversation. And this brings me to the conclusion that to have this achievement one must not only be exceptionally brilliant but also have a humble character.

 with a C.G.P.A of 4.64 (first class), from 'the seemingly controversial and complex department of philosophy'. We give you the best graduating student of 2016 set. ANICHEBE TONY.

1. Tell us a little background about ANICHEBE TONY?
Alright, my name is Anichebe, and the pronunciation is ANI CHE BE, ANTHONY OKECHUKWU OLUWATIMILEHIN. I am from Enugu state, family of 6, second to the last, I'm a christian, a catholic to be precise, i consider myself a Lagosian because i have literally lived all my life in Lagos from my primary to tertiary institution.

2.What was your experience getting admission into the university of Lagos?
The experience getting this admission was really not difficult, probably because i have gotten one admission before this, i did Economics here in the university of Lagos and i finished 2010, philosophy is actually my second degree, so probably because am used to the system, it wasn't that difficult.

3.So was philosophy your dream course or you just decided to do it?
Philosophy was actually my dream course, i didn't just dabbled into philosophy, as a matter of fact , while i was studying economics, i was never satisfied, then i realized i wanted something more, and i realized philosophy and my being were compatible. probably that's why i find philosophy interesting. like Socrates said an unexamined life is not worth living.
4.So what relevance do you think philosophy has?
I will re-call the words of DR. Okoro, dr. C.B Okoro of the department of philosophy, he said anybody who is  gonna make it right at the helm of affairs, must have 3 discipline that is philosophy, economics and law. so to get things right one must have these 3 courses to lead the country. Hence the relevance of philosophy can never be over emphasized, Karl Marx said that  nothing dies suddenly, for their to be change, it must start from a gradual change.

5.What is your routine like in school?
I was actually the course rep for my class from year 1 to 4. My routine was such a fixed one, it was so tight, before you can get to see me, you know, but despite that i still had time for studies, friends and fun. having said that there will always be distractions,but it's left for you to plan yourself regardless of those distractions.My routine was so tight,because my life was not just lived for myself and as a guy i didnt fail to have fun, hung out with even female friends.

6.Do you have a strategy by which you read and answer complex philosophy questions?
Hmm, okay, because of my schedule, anyway, let me say this, i have a particular place in the library located for the engineering students, it was literally turned to my apartment, because everyone in library knew me to own that place. as a matter of fact i will be disclosing this for the very first time, my books slept in the library session to session, that was my base. and my strategy for answering complex philosophy question, firstly understanding. i try as much as possible to understand the question clearly.I share my time in 40minutes for the 3 questions, and when i start writing i don't look up, because its a distraction. I also make sure my writing is legible .These were my strategies. plus each time i go inside to write an exam, i pray , i don't go to the chapel with my docket to start praying, i don't think that's necessary because if you don't read you only deceive yourself.

7.What does it takes to be the best graduating student?does it mean going to the library?
I do go to the library no doubt, but i also have time to hangout with girls, and am straight forward, philosophy and my being are compatible. I try as much as possible to be straight forward.Plus my discipline as a lawyer in training, which makes me who i am. People like Jesus Christ, Buddha, Socrates were great man and were not even loved, so who am i, am not even close to them. Am not that kinda first class guy who is just class and library, i go out, club, party have fun, but still disciplined with my time when it's time to be focused.

8.Who are those friends and family that helped you out through your stay in school?
Sincerely speaking, the first friend i will mention is the girl everyone knows as my girl friend, Titlayo Gbenle, she was so supportive all the way, i couldn't ask for a better friend. As a result of my status i was really busy, but she was so understanding, she was always there for me, she would be at the door of every office waiting for me at every lecturers office.she's worth more than just calling her name, she is one person that continually gave me the push, and i promised to get the first class,at least for her.

9.What is your philosophy of life?
SMILE! i  smile a lot, i believe with a smile one can turn things around, i believe with a smile you can turn a murderer around."A smile is a curve that sets everything straight"

10.What C.G.P.A did you graduate with?
I finished with a 4.64

11.How can one come out with excellent grade like that?
As a matter of fact, i dropped, but a whole lot of things happened, project was part of it, it's very important , try has much as possible to come out with an A in your project, its a G.P booster.

12.What is impossible in life?
 Is anything impossible? the only thing i believe is impossible is for anyone to escape death.Asides that, nothing else  is impossible to me

13.How does it feel to be the best graduating student, what are the benefits, and recognition like?
To be very truthful, it feels good to be the G.B.S student, people are not aware but am also currently studying law in O.A.U, it feels good to finish with a first class, and if you know your onions its gonna work for you.

14. As the best graduating student what advice and legacy would you want to give the students and the department?
The first advice i wanna give is, before i say this a lot of people see me as someone who is proud but who am i to change their perception? Protagoras said man is the measure o all things, be humble it helps, success also brings enmity.

15. They say for every successful student they is always that lecturer who is there for him, who was that lecturer?
To be truthful i had a whole lot o lecturer that believe in me, these lecturers took it upon themselves to help me. DR. Chris Osegewune,  MR. Ekere and MR Owosho. These men would forever be in my heart. they were more than lecturers to me.

16. So what's next for you?
Next for me? am already at it, i will be celebrating another convocation in 2018, and by then there will be something next.
INTERVIEW CONDUCTED BY
ONYINYE
FUNMI
BANJI
FOR UNILAGSAGE.


olabanji amokeodo

1 comment:

  1. Wow!
    The secret to excellence truly begins with a well planned living.
    You're a motivation boss.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram